Today begins my two-month, full-time journey of developing myself as a professional writer. Think of it as a short-term, unpaid internship at Nathan the Paul, Incorporated. By the end of this time, I’ll have learned/done a lot more about:
- Using the wonderland of the Internet to write and publish
- Using WordPress in particular (duh)
- Figuring out what the heck are HTML, PHP, SQL, CMS, and how to ruthlessly exploit them to my advantage
- Refining my craft as a writer and curator of fine weblog pieces for your erudition and entertainment
- Re-tackling the arcane beast known as “Writing Fiction”
- Learning how and where to submit my work
- Making some $$$ with all this!
On the agenda for this 6th Day of the Month of January, we have:
- Beginning this log!
- Day 1 of learning WordPress at How to Learn WordPress
- Looking (and applying!) for jobs on the ProBlogger Job Board
- Networking like a pro — connect with me on LinkedIn!
- Ordering Michael Hyatt’s Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World
- Learning the basic concept of search engine optimization at Search Engine Land
Thanks, Alec Guinness!
Takeaways from Day 1:
- Write about what you like
- Write frequently (hence this log)
- Keep writing!
- Web design is a deep dark pool whereof I have fathomed naught.
BONUS ROUND: other tasks not on the agenda
- Finding a picture of Alec Guinness
- Grumbling at incorrectly-captioned screenshots of Alec Guinness
- Discovering what comes up when you image-search “arcane beast,” from mildly weird to the stuff of nightmares
- Wondering where I read that C.S. Lewis quote criticizing the deeply-embedded cultural notion that our thoughts and feelings are all meaningful simply because we have them
- Registering to re-take Ballroom and Social Dance (watch out, ladies).
- Re-reading this entire post before clicking “Publish”
- Re-reading it again
- Trying to figure out why the heck all my bullets show up as X’s (help!)